On top of that I have spent the last week painting, stripping and repainting the pistons about 5 or so times.......I just could not get an effect or colour I was happy with. In the end though after a little discussion with a mate James I swapped paint from a mix i had made myself to tamiya smoke with a little sepia ink, bingo! painting of the pistons is very simple, paint the piston metal then mask it off at different stages and airbrush on the tide marks removing the tape as you progress up obviously starting with the end of the piston that you want the darkest first. Simple yet effective. They are not perfect as i had to strip and reprime so many times, there are a couple of little divets on them but they are only noticable if you are nose close.....as in sniffing the model, I tend not to allow people that close to myself or my models unless they possess a lovely pair of boobs.
I have also been working on all the base metals which are done across the model, just need to start the super detailing and weathering on them and they are done.
I decided that the brass bits didnt really work just painting the same as the other metals and then glazes with sepia and burnt umber so i gave them a light overbrushing of Rub and Buff Antique Gold, result was for me spot on.
And before I go......
"Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"